Friday, June 13, 2014

One Year Ago Today...

One year ago today, I got to take Princess home from the hospital. She had been in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for 77 days.

Birth weight: 2lbs 6oz
Birth length: 14.4in

Going Home weight: 6lbs 4oz
Going Home length: 17.7in

It was the day before he due date. We were literally told about her going home 18 hours before. The afternoon before she went home, I received a call from the nurse asking if we were coming in that night. (They knew we usually came on Wednesday nights.) And when I said yes, she told me to bring the car seat, because Princess would be doing her car seat test that night. If she passed, she could go home the next day. I was overjoyed! But a little freaked out too! Thankfully the nursery was mostly put together. The bassinet was moved into my room. I waited anxiously to find out if she was going to pass her car seat test. I was so freaked out, I called the hospital at 1:30 in the morning to find out what was going on! I was told she was chilling in her car seat. At almost 6 in the morning, I was called by the nurse and she said that Princess had passed and we could go home! BEST 6am wake up call EVER! And WAY better than the one I had received just 3 days earlier. (On Monday of that week, the nurse had called and told me that they had stopped all of Princess's feeds, started an IV and were waiting to see what the doctor would do because she had been fussy and threw up her 3a bottle. Turned out it was a milk protein allergy. She was put on formula and 2 days later we were testing to go home!)

So that day, I live tweeted Princess's homecoming, complete with a hashtag! (#homecoming) I posted mainly from Twitter via my cellphone. I also posted songs that played from AIR1 and KLOVE. Songs that played on the way to the hospital were:
  • "Your Love Never Fails" by the Newsboys
  • "We Won't be Shaken" by Building 429
  • "Every Good Thing" by The Afters
When we got to the hospital and I got inside, I took a picture and posted the sideways tag on the board that told you were each baby was. Sideways meant the baby was being discharged! I was so overjoyed to see her name sideways! So I did all the outgoing talking stuff. Got three cans of formula for her. Found out the formula had expired at the beginning of the month! (Glad I checked.) And got three more cans of formula! We got our final Beads of Courage update and they even gave us her "happy birthday" bead (for being there at her due date), even though she was going home a day early! I got her in her car seat and of course snapped the obligatory car seat photo:

We then got led outside. We took photos and got the car and got the kids in the car and headed home! What a great feeling to finally be leaving the hospital for what we thought would be last time. Little did we know that we would be back the following week and the week after that. But after 11 weeks of being in the hospital Princess was finally going home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...