Friday, January 10, 2014

Crisis Averted

I was going to post this earlier, but life has kind of gotten in the way. I was also going to post a catch-up on Shut-In Saturday, but this is why I didn't.

Saturday afternoon, Princess came home from her visit with her dad and took a good nap. She slept from about 2:30 until about 4p. When she woke up at 4p, she should have been hungry, as she hadn't had a bottle since 11a, but instead, she was still sleepy. She dozed on me until 4:30p. When she woke up from that, she puked on me. This was true puke, not spit up. I didn't freak out initially, outside of the fact that I had to go change her and myself. But then, while I was changing her, she puked again. And then she did it again. At that point, I had pretty much made up my mind to take her to the ER, but called Dr. K. Even though he's her cardiologist, I know I can get a hold of him. He said that she needed a work up. So off we went to ER at 5p on a Saturday.

We were checked in and barely sat down before they called us back to a room. We were hardly checked in there before a nurse was in to see us. The nurse wasn't even done with vitals before the doctor was standing at the door. Her heart rate was in the 140s and her blood pressure was 124/62. (YUCK on both accounts!) I was so glad I had a hot sheet for her listing her meds, docs, and diagnoses. It made things so much easier. After filling them in on the PHA2 (lots of "what is that?") and the fact that she is currently getting Synagis (more "what is that for?") and the LVH (they all knew that one!), the doctor decided to do an electrolyte panel and give her a shot of Zofran. Zofran is an anti-emetic that they started using with cancer patients and have now approved for kids as well. So the doctor was only out of the room for a few minutes before the lab tech was there. It took me laying on her, a nurse holding her head, a nurse holding her arm and the tech to get the blood, but he got it first time! He took a little extra just in case they wanted to run a couple other things. Turned out they did, but I was glad they got it all in one draw. Then the waiting began.

The doc called the hospital we had been at to see what they wanted to do. He was waiting for them to call back. Nurse change over happened. The nurse came in and told us the electrolytes looked good: Sodium was 139 and Potassium was 4.9. Both in normal ranges! Her white blood cell count was elevated slightly, but that could have been from the puking. While we were waiting, Princess took a nap and when she woke up, she was definitely feeling better. She was looking around and wanting to play again. I knew she was probably hungry too.

The doc finally heard back from the hospital. It was Dr. F, the doc who's admitted us twice now. Doc came in and said that we had the choice of either being transferred or going home. We picked home. She was obviously doing better. The only concern I had was what to give her. I was advised to start with juice, but not apple. And if she kept that down for about an hour, to try again. And if she kept that down, try formula. So we left there about 8p.

When we got home, we did some white grape juice diluted with water. She took that. An hour later, we tried some more. No puking! So we went to bed. Princess slept in bed with me and we slept all night with no puking! The next morning, we took it easy with her bottle and food and by Monday we were back to normal bottle amounts and Tuesday normal food amounts.

I kind of had a feeling something was going to happen. Why? Well, I had heard "We Won't Be Shaken" by Building 429 like 3 times in the past few days on the radio. I hadn't heard it on the radio in quite a while and we only listen to KLOVE in the car. I had heard "Overcomer" by Mandisa a bunch but not "We Won't Be Shaken." I had a feeling this was God telling me that something was going to happen and not to worry about it. Well, trusting Him, things worked out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...